It's August again, and you know what that means: it's time for When Words Collide, Calgary's wildest wrangling of genre-crossing literature, a Festival for Readers and Writers.
The convention has been sold out since June but there are a few areas open to the public. Check the website at When Words Collide to learn what events you can access from outside.
I'll be appearing on several panels to discuss the amazing alternate-Victorian world of Maddie Hatter, how to plot the perfect crime, who my favourite paranormal authors are, and other topics of interest to readers and to writers of crime and/or speculative fiction.
Friday, August 11th
* at 7 p.m. in the Canmore Room (Atrium Building): When, Where, Why and How Would You Kill This Character? Audience participation as writers brainstorm. With only a setting, character, and motive, how will each panelist kill the character and hide the body?
* at 9 p.m. (room TBA) Tyche Books Ltd and Steampunk Arts & Sciences Society (SASS) present their annual absinthe and Scotch tastings. Learn about malts from true aficionados and watch a perfect absinthe drink created from the fountain manipulated by the Commander's experienced hands.
Saturday, August 12th
(all in Tower Building from here on unless specified)
* 12 noon in the Fireside Room: Tyche Books Presents their annual book social with editors and authors presenting the 2017 collection. Panel discussion and Q & A.
* 2 p.m. in Bonavista Room: Paranormal Mysteries by subtype and style. How much woo-woo is too much? What authors do it well?
* 8 p.m. in the Parkland Room: Mass autograph session, where I'll be signing my two Maddie Hatter Adventures, two Enigma Front anthologies, and whatever other anthologies or old magazine stories of mine readers bring along.
* 10 p.m. in a semi-secret location: Bundoran Press's combined party and triple book launch. I'm just going as a spectator and cheerer-on of the authors.
Sunday, August 13th
* 2 p.m. in the Parkland Room: Elements of Suspense (a Sisters-in-Crime panel), in which we discuss what keeps readers turning the page and sleeping with the lights on.
* 4 p.m. in the Fireside Room: Women of Mystery (a Sisters-in-Crime panel), in which 4 long-time mystery writer/readers discuss their favourite new and established female crime writers, and reveal a few secrets of our own.
Looking forward to seeing lots of friends old and new!
Find me on Facebook or Twitter